09 Oct Section of Highway 417 will be fully closed for bridge truss installation on the weekend of October 19
Ottawa – A section of Highway 417 will be closed in both directions from 6 pm on Saturday, October 19 until 11 am on Sunday, October 20, resulting in significant traffic impacts.
Lane reductions will start at 5 pm on Saturday, followed by the full closure at 6 pm. This closure is required to install the truss that will form the main span of the new Harmer Avenue Pedestrian Bridge.
Eastbound on-ramps to the highway will be closed at Carling, Parkdale and Maitland avenues. Westbound on-ramps to the highway will be closed at Bronson Avenue, Rochester Street, Parkdale Avenue, Lyon Street and O’Connor Street.
The following detours will be in effect during the closure:
- Westbound motorists must exit the highway at Bronson Avenue, onto Catherine Street
- Proceed via Catherine Street, which becomes Raymond Street, westbound to Booth Street
- Proceed via Booth Street southbound to Carling Avenue
- Proceed via Carling Avenue westbound to the westbound Highway 417 on-ramp at Carling Avenue, west of Kirkwood Avenue and the fire station.
- Eastbound motorists must exit the highway at Carling Avenue and continue east to Bronson Avenue
- Proceed via Bronson Avenue northbound to Chamberlain Avenue
- Proceed via Chamberlain Avenue eastbound to Isabella Street
- Proceed via Isabella Street eastbound onto the eastbound Highway 417 on-ramp at Metcalfe Street
The public is advised to plan all trips well in advance as significant delays are expected during the closure. There are many other transportation options, including OC Transpo, carpooling or other alternative forms of transportation to get around the city while this closure is in place.