03 Apr Dynes Road and Prince of Wales Drive Reconstruction Project
The City of Ottawa is undertaking the preliminary and detail design for the reconstruction of Dynes Road (Fisher Avenue to Prince of Wales Drive) and Prince of Wales Drive (Dynes Road to Forest Hill Avenue). The existing trunk storm sewer on Dynes Road and Prince of Wales Drive is to be replaced with a larger trunk storm sewer to improve the storm sewer system. The sanitary sewer and watermain will also be reconstructed along sections of Dynes Road and Prince of Wales Drive due to the age of the existing infrastructure. A new local storm sewer will be constructed on Prince of Wales Drive between Forest Hill Avenue and Villa Crescent. House or building services will be reconstructed to the property line within the limits of watermain and sewer construction.
In addition to the sewer and watermain construction, the following works are proposed:
- Full-road reconstruction on Dynes Road (Fisher Avenue to Prince of Wales Drive) including replacing curbs, replacing existing sidewalks with 1.8m wide sidewalks and construction of a new 1.8m wide monolithic curb and sidewalk on the south side of the road between Fisher Avenue and Claymor Avenue.
- Provision of on-street bike lanes on both sides of Dynes Road between Fisher Avenue and Prince of Wales Drive.
- Removal of on-street parking on the south side of Dynes Road between Fisher Avenue and 847 Dynes Road to accommodate the proposed bike lanes. Parking bays will be provided on the south side of Dynes Road between 847 Dynes Road and Morley Blvd.
- Full-road reconstruction on Prince of Wales Drive (Dynes to Forest Hill) including new curbs, sidewalks and cycle tracks on both sides of the roadway.
- Reconstruction of the Dynes Road / Fisher Avenue and Dynes Road / Prince of Wales Drive intersections with protected cycle-track crossings. Parking bays will be provided on the east and west side of Prince of Wales Drive between Maryland Avenue and Villa Crescent.
- Relocation/reconstruction of utilities, as required.
Refer to schematics below for typical road cross-section elements.
Dynes Road schematic [ PDF – 2.94 MB ]
Prince of Wales Drive schematic [ PDF – 2.92 MB ]
Tentative project timing
Construction start: Early Summer 2017
Construction substantial completion: Late Fall 2018
Final paving and landscaping: Spring/Summer 2019
For further information or to provide comments, please contact the City’s project manager:
Franco Bonanno (link sends e-mail), P.Eng.
Senior Engineer, Infrastructure Projects
Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development Department
Design & Construction – Branch 2
City of Ottawa, 100 Constellation Drive
Ottawa, ON K2G 6J8
Tel: 613-580-2424, ext. 21775