22 May Traffic disruptions and road closures during Ottawa Race Weekend
Ottawa – The City of Ottawa wants to remind motorists to expect traffic disruptions as several downtown streets will be closed on Saturday and Sunday to accommodate the annual Ottawa Race Weekend.
Race events are scheduled for the afternoon and evening on Saturday, May 23, and all morning and early afternoon on Sunday, May 24.
Each race begins at the corner of Elgin Street and Laurier Avenue, outside Ottawa City Hall, and ends at the Cartier Drill Hall along the Queen Elizabeth Driveway. Several downtown Ottawa streets will be partially or completely closed to vehicular traffic.
Check the Ottawa Race Weekend website to see which streets will be affected.
Ottawa Police, City officials and race officials will monitor activities so as to minimize any potential traffic impacts. Motorists planning to travel in and around these areas on Saturday and Sunday should consider taking alternate routes.
Local residents affected by the road closures should check the Ottawa Race Weekend website for information.
Some OC Transpo routes will be impacted due to the road closures occurring this weekend. Please visit octranspo.com for the latest transit information.
The City of Ottawa has tools on ottawa.ca to help motorists and transit users plan their routes including:
- OttawaNav – the City’s mobile application for real time construction and traffic information.
- City of Ottawa Traffic Report – outlining citywide road closures, traffic restrictions and detours
- Travel Planner at octranspo.com – transit users can chart and plan routes
- Interactive traffic map – showing construction areas and live traffic cams throughout the city
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) cameras
- Cycling maps and information – detailing bicycle pathways and lanes throughout the city
The City of Ottawa appreciates motorists’ patience during this time.