04 Jan River Ward E-Newsletter, January 1, 2021 | Bulletin d’Information electronique du Quartier Rivière, 1 janvier 2021
River Ward Community Update
Dear Friends and Neighbours of River Ward,
Happy New Year.
I hope you have been able to take some time to rest, communicate with friends and loved ones, and enjoy this festive season.
We have been in lockdown since December 26. I hope it will be short-lived, and we are back to a more established routine near the end of the month.
2021 is also a new Budget year for the City of Ottawa. A number of local projects will be financed, including, but not limited to the following:
- As part of the Trillium Line LRT Phase 2, construction of a new pedestrian/cycling Rideau River Bridge (connecting Vincent Massey Park with Carleton University), Mooney’s Bay Station upgrades, construction of new Walkley Station
- Pathway (winter) plowing in Mooney’s Bay Park, minor upgrades later in the year to add bike parking and wayfinding signage
- Repairs to the Sawmill Creek Multi-Use pathway to address geotechnical issues which have accelerated the deterioration of the pathway
- Final Design for the Mooney’s Bay Pavilion rebuild, including a permanent washroom at the Canada 150 playground and new vehicle storage facility for park maintenance (reminder, this is the design phase, not construction)
- Dozens of hydro pole replacements along Merivale and Walkley Roads
- Road repaving for Hunt Club Road (Paul Anka to the Airport Parkway), Riverside (Walkley to north of Ridgewood), and Carling (Merivale to Melrose)
- Final Design stage for the Airport Parkway widening
- McCarthy Road Fire Station bay doors replacement
- Park upgrades – planning: Harrold Place Park Gazebo, Pauline Vanier Park playground, Raven Park pool chamber (please note, planning is expected to start in 2021, but not the actual construction)
- Park upgrades – construction: Celebration Park, new gazebo and Meadowvale Park, improvements to be made in partnership between my office and the immediate community.
- Park to be studied: McCarthy Park, in consultation with the Hunt Club Community Association. I am investigating adding another basketball court and installing lighting for evening use.
- Carlington Heights Pumping Station Expansion, aka the Carlington Reservoir. Work slated to commence in September.
- Culvert replacements, 1 on Sanford, 2 on Wilshire
- Project design/planning for integrated road, sewer, and water work on Apeldoorn Avenue between Meadowlands Drive East and Falaise Road, as well as Arnhem Street between Normandy Crescent and Greenbriar Avenue (construction expected in 2023)
- The Ottawa Public Library has set aside funds to analyze future opportunities of operating a small library branch out of the Alexander Community Centre (current gymnasium), once it is renovated and expanded. A report is due Autumn 2021.
Stay safe, stay well. Contact me anytime to discuss any issue.
City Councillor, River Ward
To review the full e-newsletter, click HERE (in English et en Français)
To review past e-newsletters, click HERE (in English et en Français)